Three very worthy aid organizations are helping the Haitian people: The Association of Volunteers in International Service (AVSI), Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and the Order of Malta. Monies collected get to those in need!
Many of us will want to help those who are suffering in Haiti - firstly with prayer and secondly with material support. However, getting the material support to those who need it most is going to be very difficult given the severity of the disaster. Moreover spurious organizations will most likely spring up and so we, as good stewards of God's gifts, must be careful about who we send our donations too.
1. AVSI is an international charitable organization started by Communion and Liberation because I know my donation will reach those who need it. AVSI has been present in Haiti since 1999 working in the agriculture, food security, education and social sectors in neighborhoods around Port au Prince as well as in Les Cayes in the south. On the occasion of previous emergencies, flooding in 2004 and 2008, AVSI implemented emergency relief operations with international donors.
Any donations to assist AVSI's emergency program in Haiti can be received by AVSI-USA, it is tax deductible, and will be channeled to AVSI in Haiti.
Information about AVSI and their appeal for Haiti can be found here.
Checks can be made payable to "AVSI-USA" with "Haiti Emergency" in the memo and sent to AVSI-USA: 529 14th Street NW, Suite 994, Washington, DC 20045.
2. Tremendous work is being done by Catholic Relief Services in Haiti all the time. Please consider giving a tax-deductible contribution to CRS to help them in this endeavor. The Archbishop of New Yorkm, Timothy Dolan, recommends support of CRS.
You can give directly through the CRS Web site here or by typing www.crs.org into your Web browser. Or call 1-800-736-3467.
3. The Order of Malta-American Association supports three major missions in Haiti. Each of these missions is in desperate need of funds to provide emergency relief and medical assistance and to buy food for starving children, mothers and fathers, and elderly Haitians. The Haitian people depend upon us for help during this crisis and for the foreseeable future.
The three missions in Haiti associated with the American Association include:
- Haitian Health Foundation
- Hôpital Sacré Coeur - Crudem
- Hope for Haiti
The Haitian Health Foundation has the facilities and the expertise to manufacture food which will be desperately needed. Hope for Haiti is organizing airlifts and busloads of critical food and medical supplies. Hôpital Sacré Coeur will be a triage connected to Operation Hope. These three Malta organizations are trusted stewards of your generosity.
Each of these organizations will guarantee that 100% of the monies will go toward emergency relief for those in need and tax deductible. To donate to the Order of Malta visit here.
Since I can personally vouch for them, I am sending a donations to AVSI and to the Order of Malta.