Good question: how does one prepare one self for Christian living? I’d suggest
- look for ways to grow in virtue by practice and asking for the grace from Jesus;
- reduce time sitting in front of the TV, vedging-out; drinking, and eating bad food;
- be aware of the ways in which self-ish behavior is the norm and make changes;
- spend time doing lectio divina, praying the rosary and praying for enemies one’s conversion;
- seek ways to be generous, self-sacrificing by offer a sincere gift of self, self mastery relationship with the Lord.
Many come to a conversion of life from within marriage (and some through religious vows and priesthood) but how we live our life right now is the question; it is also a matter of formation that will bear fruit later in life. Ask for the grace to live a real Christian life.